Inverness, Loch Ness, and Glencoe

After the ordeal we experienced getting to Scotland, we finally got the chance to enjoy Scotland!



We got a good night's sleep, got up early, had an enormous breakfast prepared by our airbnb hostess, and then went off to pick up our rental car. My mom drove all day in Scotland in a manual car on the left side of the road and she did not damage the car or kill anyone, so that was pretty impressive. I was really tense the whole time she was driving, but it was alright. We drove from Inverness to Garbeg, just outside of Drumnadrochit. This is the farm where my great, great, great, great grandfather was born in 1790. The current owner is not related to us, but she was so kind. She showed us all around the property and it was beautiful.

This is the house that she lives in. This is probably not the house my ancestor was born in because the house is only 150 years old. One interesting thing about this house is that the washer and dryer are outside. I have no idea why, but I guess it works for her.




After a quick stop for lunch in Drumnadrochit, we went to Castle Urquhart and Loch Ness. We got to walk around in the castle, which was so exciting because it's the first castle I've seen here. The weather was so fantastic, which I was not expecting. Actually, it was so nice that we were getting kind of hot walking around outside!







Because the weather was so great, we decided to take the rental car down to Glencoe instead of going back to Inverness. By the time we got to Glencoe the weather was even better, which I didn't think was possible, considering Glencoe is very close to the wettest place in Scotland.


My mom especially wanted to make this trip because she couldn't come here the last time she was in Scotland and this area has some historical significance to the Campbells (her maiden name).



 




Even if you don't have any interest in the history of the area (like me!), it is still amazing to see the natural beauty of the area.


We drove back to Inverness, had dinner, and walked around town. I really like Inverness. I didn't get to spend a lot of time there, so I think I will have to go back.

Comments

Popular Posts