Grayson Highlands State Park


This past weekend my family and I went camping at Grayson Highlands State Park for the weekend. 


I took along some of my backpacking and travel gear that I was itching to try out. I'm a big fan of my new tent, which I hope to have many more adventures with.



On Saturday we took a hike on the Cabin Creek Trail, which goes along Cabin Creek (wow), which has lots of lovely waterfalls. I ended up experimenting with some long exposures on my camera (and tried a few features and pieces of camera gear I hadn't tried out properly). I was very pleased with the results!




On Sunday morning, we hiked the Twin Pinnacles Trail, which gave us really nice views of the park. 



On the way back to the trail head, we passed this amazing tree that looks like it grew on top of a rock! I think the roots were at one point underground, but the soil has since washed away. It does look pretty magical though!



After finishing that trail, we went looking for the famous ponies. Apparently the wild ponies at Grayson Highlands are the only herd of completely independent wild ponies in North America. That's pretty cool. Also the ponies and their foals were absolutely adorable!



I will definitely be returning to Grayson Highlands. The camping facilities were nice and clean, there are more trails than you could hope to cover in a week, and I just love that there are wild ponies!

Comments

Popular Posts