Monthly Recap: August 2017


This is what I got up to in August!


Where I Went

Little Rock and Bentonville, Arkansas

Nantahala National Forest, North Carolina

The Great Smoky Mountain National Park

Winnsboro, South Carolina

Washington, D.C.,  Philadelphia, and Newburgh, USA

Edinburgh, Scotland

Best on Instagram

Back in Edinburgh


Best on the Blog

Huashan and China's Most Dangerous Hiking Path - I also made a video of the hike.


What I Read

Night Train to Turkistan by Stuart Stevens - I found this in a really cool bookstore in Fayetteville, Arkansas of all places. The book store is called Dickson Books. I found this in their China section among a few others I picked up. This was a super easy read and it made me miss my time in Xinjiang. It's amazing how different traveling in China is compared to in the 80s. 


Ghost Wars by Steve Coll - I read the first two hundred pages of this book and in the end I just had to give up. I really was looking for a shorter book on the topic.


Challenges

Moving. Moving is always going to be a challenge. This month I moved back to Edinburgh and I hated the packing so much. I can't wait to move into my new flat and be settled for the year. 

Highlights

I did so much traveling around the US this month. I went to a few family reunions in North Carolina and Arkansas. I got to go on a little road trip with my mom up to Newburgh, New York to fly back to Edinburgh. We got to stop in D.C. and Philadelphia. It was really fun.

I went on my first backpacking trip this month. I did a 30-mile section hike on the Appalachian Trail and then we car camped in the Smokies after that. It was really fun and I can't wait to go backpacking again. 

The eclipse was also a huge highlight. My mom, some of her friends, and I drove down just north of Columbia, South Carolina to see the total eclipse. It was a really fun day and the eclipse was amazing and beautiful. 



What's Next?

West Highland Way! I'm leaving on the first of September to walk 93 miles along the West Highland Way from Milngavie to Fort William. I'm so excited!

4th Year of University! I start back at uni in September. This will be my fourth and final year of my undergraduate degree. I'm excited and nervous and I can't wait!

Comments

Popular Posts